What Drives Share Prices Up (and Down)? - Part 1

I guess the best answer is that nobody really knows for sure...

Since I started investing (which is not long ago...), I've been reading articles about stock price movement, technical and fundamental analysis, and such....
However, everytime I put those readings into practices, only half of them actually works. The same thing apply to those subcribtion newsletter and subscribtion share brokers/tippers.

I did once or twice followed what an online tipper suggest. They offered me a free subscription for their service.. I guess I wasn't lucky enough, because the shares turned out to be a big dud.. To make it worse, the tipper kept on sugesting it as a BUY, as it was getting cheaper and cheaper.. Anyway, looking at that share now, I am relieved that I bailed out, although a little bit too late for my liking.

Now, again, what drives shares price up and down?

Basically, supply and demand rules are at work here. If more people want to buy a stock (demand) than people who want to sell it (supply), then the price moves up. Conversely, if more people wanted to sell a stock than buy it, there would be greater supply than demand, and the price would fall.

The demand and supply, however, based on which shares the investor like or dislike.
What makes investor like a certain shares and dislike another shares. This comes down to figuring out what news is positive for a company and what news is negative.

I have a lot to learn and am still struggling to interpret a news...

This morning, there's an announcement from PNA : Pan Australian secures $286m for Laos mine.. With that big confidence from the Banks to PNA, I thought the share price will be up today, but apparently market dislike it.. There was a bloodbath in my holdings... Thing that I should be able to avoid if I could interpret the announcement better

No comments: