Picking Up Pennies in front of a Steamroller

Finally, I've got the hold of Nassem Taleb's book, The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable, and read it.

There were a lot of expectations associated with this book for me. This book is quoted so much in the wake of the GFC, that I thought it's a purely stock market or investment book.  Well, I was wrong. While I think 'The Black Swan' is a good read for financial people, it's also a good read for every curious mind.

The book is well written, with some humor in it, but to be truthful, I sort of got lost in the middle of my reading.  I found the book a bit repetitive, rather tedious and taking a long time to make a point.

The main point of this book is:
  1. We can not possibly know everything
  2. The future is uncertain and dynamic and has many possibilities.
  3. Aftermath, there are many who tell you "I told you so", they actually had not.
Quote I like from the book:
  • Nobody knows what's going on
  • What we don't know can be more important than what we think we know.
  • Most financial traders are 'picking pennies in front of steamroller' exposing themselves to the high impact rare event yet sleeping like babies, unaware of it.
  • Information is BAD for knowledge
  • Don't ask the barber whether you need a haircut, and don't ask academic if what he does is relevant.
  • Financial analysts, experts, strategists, portfolio managers generally don't posses much knowledge about the market, but general public listens to their opinion
  • Many "experts", like economists, are no better at predicting than regular people.

No comments: